Welcome to Ouroboros Gaming!

Will fill this in later...but you should register! [Registration on this forum is through Steam, there are currently no other means of registration]

General Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sven, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Sven Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Staff
    The following assumes the server isn't dying for staff.​
    • Don't directly transfer the staff list from TTT-FUN. People should apply and be accepted separately. We don't want chronically inactive staff that come to see the excitement of a new server just to leave again.
    • Opinion: 16 is a decent minimum age for staff. Exceptions exist but most people younger don't have the maturity or social experience to handle harder staffing.
    • Staff selection could be more selective than it has been for TTT-FUN. Lately people have been accepted on the criteria of "doesn't RDM excessively and mostly knows the rules." This should be a minimum, not the whole requirement. Side note: memorizing the number of each rule isn't useful.
    • If we have a non-selective trial mod stage, then moving up to full moderator should be more selective with only the best moving on instead of everyone who isn't absolutely terrible. This should help the issue of "We aren't going to give moderators the powers they need to moderate because we think they'll abuse these powers." When you gimp your own staff because you don't trust them, you have shitty staff and a flawed selection system.
    • Moderators and administrators do two different kinds of work; moderators handle the players online and administrators manage the server less directly and keep it running. This doesn't mean that administrators are too good to moderate if they aren't busy with admin work. If admins are supposed to be the best of us then they should uphold a good example, something I haven't always seen in the past. This should go for behavior and interactions in general, in my opinion.
    • When looking for staff to fill roles or promote, have a list of criteria you're looking for and look at who fulfills those criteria. This helps you get better, more competent staff. Don't promote someone just because you're buddies or they like to kiss your ass. Most people seem to fall into this trap but I'm putting this here on the off chance it helps prevent it.
    Donators
    • Most servers give donators entry-level staff powers to take care of the server while no staff are on. Almost all of these servers have issues with kids abusing these powers.
    • Suggestion here is vetting donators to have powers; if someone if 16+ and receives positive feedback from staff they can have a powered up donator rank. Giving slay and slap to a ten year old has no actual purpose and is generally asking for trouble.
    • Powered donators still shouldn't moderate when actual staff are on, though they're free to talk to staff and point them in the right direction ("Hey, I think this guy is aimbotting/ghosting/whatever").
    • Donator buffs are fine in small amounts but for the love of god don't overdo it. It's shitty for everyone else when donators become so buffed that they become gods among men. It makes it a pay-to-win FPS.
    I'll add more things as they come to mind.

Edit: Fixed general redundancy in general.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Icey Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This is important. Try to have actual, written out criteria. This helps staff know what they should focus on and also helps clear up any disagreements.

3. SquggilyLineGuy New Member

will i be a powered up donator :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Icey Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Regarding donations:

Powers given for donating is a fine line to walk. You need to have enough of an incentive to motivate donations, but you don't want to give abusable power. One alternative is pointshop items, but that again runs the risk of granting over powered privileges. Right now we obviously don't have many pointshop perks, so I will reserve judgement on the balance of that for later, but I think it is important to keep in mind. I like the point bonuses that the VIP ranks receive, I think that is a fair way to keep reward in check. To really make it more attractive, however, we need more pointshop items to buy.​

Regarding Private Weapons:

I'm curious as to how you plan to implement "Private Weapons." Are they going to be like the original customs for TTT-FUN? I suppose their balance is really dependent on what functions you make available. Customs were the primary source of income for TTT-FUN (at least towards the end of their life cycle), and so I'm interested to see what role they end up playing here. Do you plan to make them sell-able for points? Considering increased point production for VIP ranks, that could easily be an incentive for more VIP purchases, but I'm not sure what effect it would have on point inflation. I'm familiar with the huge prices that customs went for on TTT-FUN, and I think that is part of what killed customs.​

What it seems to boil down to is this: I'm excited to see how all this plays out, and will be offering input if it is wanted.

5. Kevin God Administrator

When it comes to donator abilities/powers, I do see them as in-place moderators if they choose to be. I would rather have a donator abuse and get powers stripped than have a moderator do it. If they use their powers correctly and moderate when no one else is able to then it will reflect well on their application if they choose to apply.

Point shop items will be added en masse when I determine a decent pricing algorithm that calculates points earned over time so the items are not super easy to obtain. Got a lot going on right now so cosmetics or powerups are the least of my worries.

Input is always wanted, pretty much the Private Weapons were relatively cheap (I think around 5 bucks) because they are 100% automated. I have nothing to do with creating them. You donate > use !claim ingame > set a name and the bonus stats > and next map change the gun will be there. I believe I have it set to allow sharing to 2 or 3 players, and the share duration is a minimum of a month.

They will also only be on the non-mystic server, since it was coded with the M9K weapon base.

If anyone ever thinks I am doing something wrong or stupid, tell me, I try to do everything as well as possible but everyone makes mistakes and I would prefer if they were pointed out to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Neongreensniper New Member

If you had a donator rank in TTT-fun would you have the same rank here?

7. Icey Moderator Staff Member Moderator

No, TTT-FUN donations only apply to those servers. They have not helped fund the Ouroboros servers and will not carry over.